These historic buildings were officially opened on 11 October 1953, by Lt.-Col Sir Francis Whitemore, the Lord Lieutenant of Essex, to commemorate the service personnel and civilians from the then Borough of Romford, who tragically lost their lives during World War II. This once popular community hall and memorial, fell into severe neglect with one of the buildings boarded up for well over two decades. This building houses commomorative oak panels that were donated by the US Airforce in recognition of the hospitality they had enjoyed whilst being posted here during the war. The panels are engraved with the names of 141 civilians and 246 service personnel who lost their lives.
Please click here for a full list of the names that appear on the memorial panels but note that this is not a complete list of the names of all those who lost their lives as a result of how quickly after the end of the war that they were commissioned.
With no external grants or funding, under the management of a few local residents, these historic buildings were restored and reopened in 2012, in time for the Romford War Memorial's 60th anniversary.
If you would like further information regarding the Romford War Memorial please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01708 742862.
Please note, that the War Memorial is not available for private hire.